Our attorneys are experienced litigators who have accumulated impressive results and routinely litigate cases in Environmental Law, Energy Law, and Real Estate Matters, among other areas. We specialize in Environmental Law and Regulatory matters to include CERCLA/SARA “Superfund” (defense, cost allocation, and cost recovery actions), RCRA, TSCA, CAA, and the Clean Water Act. We have successfully litigated and recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients using “Citizen Suit” and similar provisions of federal and state environmental law. Mr. Carvalho regularly advises business clients on environmental and related transactional matters involving risk allocation and transfer, as well as regulatory, permitting and licensing.
We regularly advise the firm’s broad range of clients on comprehensive and pragmatic strategies to avoid costly and time consuming litigation when possible. When necessary, we aggressively pursue litigation in state and federal courts to achieve client directed goals and objectives. The firm represents clients in trial and appellate courts. Our experienced litigation team also regularly represent clients in Alternative Dispute resolution (ADR), mediation and arbitration.
We have accumulated an impressive level of success in the courtroom:
- $5.2 Million Judgment in Storm Water & Property Rights case – Record Judgment in Georgia (2012)
- $2.5 Million Jury Verdict in Storm Water Case & Property Rights case – Highest jury verdict of its kind in Georgia history (2011), (upheld by the Georgia Court of Appeals 2013)
- $406,000 Sanction Award for destruction of Electronically Stored Information Highest sanction of its kind in Georgia history (2011)
- Negotiated $725,000 Settlement in personal injury case involving illegal police pursuit resulting in traumatic amputation of pedestrian’s leg (2011)
- Successfully represented the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy (SACE) in in connection with appeal of Public Service Commission ruling involving $6.4 Billion for two new nuclear reactors (2010)
- Negotiated $975,000 Confidential Settlement in environmental property damage case (2009)
- Successfully negotiated the first Consent Order under Section 113 of the Clean Air Act in EPA history (2008)
Renewable Energy Matters
The Renewable Energy marketplace represents and exciting and dynamic shift in energy policy. Our Renewable Energy Practice provides clients with practical and pragmatic advice on complex legal and regulatory matters. We advise clients on solar energy, wind turbines and natural gas alternatives. We work with clients to promote policy initiatives to make the case for the cost-effective, reliable and renewable energy strategies.
Our firm practices in the following Renewable Energy areas:
- Representing Clients before Public Utility Commissions and Public Service Commissions, including appeals
- Power Purchase Agreements
- Regulatory Permitting
- Solar Power Production on Landfills
- Site Development and Permitting for Combined-Cycle Natural Gas Power Plants
- Water Use Permitting
- Underground Injection Well Permitting
- Tax Incentives and Credits for Renewable Energy
Real Estate & Property Litigation
Our attorneys regularly advise clients on a variety of commercial, mixed use and industrial real estate matters. Our experience includes acquisition and divestitures, site development, and landlord-tenant disputes, among other areas. We have extensive “boots on the ground” experience in construction matters, including site planning, permitting, due diligence and regulatory compliance. We are experts advising clients on the redevelopment of environmentally distressed properties. Our clients include local, regional and national developers, REITS, lenders and individual investors. When necessary, our attorneys litigate claims on behalf of clients in state and federal courts, as well as in mediation and arbitration. The firm’s attorneys regularly publish articles on emerging environmental challenges and opportunities in periodicals such as the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Retail Law Strategist, among other publications, and lecture at major universities and law schools where we share lessons learned. Michael Carvalho also serves on the Board of Editors for the ICSC) Retail Law Strategist where he is a frequent author on a wide range of issues affecting real estate owners, operators and developers. Read Articles.
Personal Injury/Toxic Torts
We have earned a reputation for aggressive and intelligent representation that achieves our clients’ specific goals and objectives. We take a pragmatic approach to managing litigation matters in an efficient manner that minimizes risk, while maximizing recovery. We use state of the art technology to manage e-discovery issues, large volume document management and production, and multi-party litigation. Our litigation team consists of experienced Partners, Associates, Paralegals, and trial tested experts, as appropriate. Our lower overhead and investment in law practice management technology allows us to offer very competitive rates and a variety of cost management options.
Construction Law & Arbitration
We have extensive “boots on the ground” experience in construction matters, including site planning, permitting, due diligence and regulatory compliance. We are experts advising clients on the redevelopment of environmentally distressed properties. Our clients include local, regional and national developers, REITS, lenders and individual investors. When necessary, our attorneys litigate claims on behalf of clients in state and federal courts, as well as in mediation and arbitration.
Let us help you or your business pursue or defend your litigation issue. Or better yet, let us help you avoid litigation all together. We can be reached at (678) 354-0066 or Toll Free at (855) 273-1920. You may also contact us by email. Give us the opportunity to show you how our client centered approach to litigation can help you or your business.